My Teeth Turned Yellow After Braces: What Can I Do?
If you've just had your braces removed and are horrified at the yellow teeth staring back at you in the mirror, don't worry - you're not alone! Many people experience teeth discoloration after having braces. In this blog post, we'll discuss the causes of teeth yellowing after braces, and offer some solutions to help restore your smile.
The most common cause of teeth yellowing
The most common cause of teeth yellowing after braces is a build-up of plaque and tartar. When your teeth are covered in braces, it's difficult to brush and floss properly. As a result, food and bacteria can get trapped in your teeth, leading to the formation of plaque and tartar. Plaque is a sticky film of food and bacteria that forms on your teeth, while tartar is hardened plaque. Not only can plaque and tartar cause teeth yellowing, but they can also lead to tooth decay and gum disease.
Fortunately, there are a few things you can do to remove plaque and tartar from your teeth:
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and gentle circular motions to brush your teeth.
- Use a dental pick or interdental brush to clean around your braces.
- Floss regularly, using a floss threader to help you get under your braces.
- Visit your dentist or orthodontist for regular teeth cleanings.
How to prevent teeth staining
In addition to plaque and tartar, teeth can also become yellow due to staining from food, drinks, tobacco, and other substances. If you're concerned about teeth stains, there are a few things you can do to prevent them:
- Quit smoking or using tobacco products.
- Limit your intake of coffee, tea, red wine, and other teeth-staining beverages.
- Avoid teeth-staining foods like berries, soy sauce, and curry.
- Brush your teeth immediately after eating or drinking.
If your teeth are already stained, you can try one of the following teeth whitening methods:
- Professional teeth whitening: This is done by a dentist or orthodontist and usually involves bleaching your teeth with a powerful whitening agent.
- At-home teeth whitening: This involves using a teeth whitening kit that you can purchase from a drugstore or online.
If you follow these tips, you should be able to remove the plaque and tartar from your teeth and restore your smile!